17 April 2010

Home Day

As I wasn’t one hundred percent sure of the official end to the Cumbria Way (my guide book said it was Market Cross, but the maps – both OS and Harveys – said it was at the castle.), after checking out, I left Poppy in the car (as she was still a bit stiff) and walked back to the city centre and then walked the route to the castle, so I could say I had done both routes.  A bit sad I know, but I didn’t want anyone to say I hadn’t finished it properly! 

Carlisle Castle
Returning to the car, I drove to Rickerby Park for a quick walk with Poppy and headed for the M6 and the 360 miles home at around 11am.  The journey was uneventful, thankfully, and I arrived home late afternoon.

Memorial Bridge, Rickerby Park
I had certainly started the week with a certain amount of trepidation about walking 80 odd miles by myself, but in reality, with Pops for company it had turned out to be a wonderful adventure.  I am sure the dry weather helped (just a couple of spots of drizzle at the top of Stake Pass on day 3), but I would certainly be happy to repeat the experience on another long distance path.  Completing such paths in one go, walking from place to place is definitely the way to do it – it feels like a journey, and with nothing else to occupy your days you can really become immersed in the experience.  Just do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment